The church of Boljoon wasn’t exempted from the rage that were painted ceilings in the 1920s. However, the artwork on the Nuestra Señora del Patrocinio de Maria Parish was undertaken not by well-known artists but a local one known as Mariano Villareal.
As a structure used for both worship and refuge, the Patrocinio de Maria Parish Church was built with high walls fashioned from thick coral stone slabs stacked on top of the other and glued together by local mortar, and reinforced with 26 massive buttresses. The frequent pirate attacks on the town from the 17th to the 19th century prompted parish priest Fr. Julian Bermejo, who supervised the parish beginning in 1802, to set up a proper defense.