Written on the main entrance to the San Nicolas de Tolentino Parish Church are the Latin words, “Domus Dei Et Porta Coeli.” These words, which translate to “the House of God and gate of heaven,” highlight the symbolism of the church doors as the opening between two realms: the earthly space outside and heavenly expanse inside.
The parish was established on June 16, 1832 under the patronage of San Nicolas de Tolentino. Its church is a single nave structure that faces the sea. While the structure still retains its coral stone walls, the interior has been modernized and nothing remains of the old retablo.
Instead of the usual rounded arch, the Nuestra Senora del Pilar Parish Church features a Porta Mayor with a sharp upward slant typical of Gothic design.
Sibonga was originally a visita of Carcar in the late 1600s and later annexed to Argao until it became a parish in 1830.
The present day church dates back to the years from 1868 to 1881, during the administration of Fr. Juan Alonzo, which was when the edifice of coral stone and bricks was built.