The Basilica Minore del Sto. Niño’s porta mayor is topped by a trefoil arch that bears influences of Moorish art. Bas reliefs of two saints can be found on each side of the wooden door.
Known as the church of the miraculous Señor Sto. Niño de Cebu, the Basilica was built on the very site where the image of the Child Jesus was discovered on April 28, 1565 by a member of the expedition led by Spanish explorer Miguel Lopez de Legazpi. This same image is now housed in a glass case inside the church. The convent and Church of the Sto. Niño was established by Fr. Andres de Urdaneta soon after the discovery.
Unknown to many, a bust of the suffering Christ was found together with the Sto. Niño. This Ecce Homo image is displayed in an altar to the left of the retablo.